Please enjoy this favourite recipe from OCYI partner, Christie Lake Kids.
- Large Ziploc bag OR large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Baking sheet
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 package rapid rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- In the Ziploc bag, add the warm water and yeast. Seal the bag and squish/shake to combine.
- Add the sugar and salt. Seal bag and shake.
- Add 2 cups of the flour. Seal bag and knead with fingers to blend ingredients together.
- Add remaining flour to the bag. Seal the bag and knead until dough doesn’t stick to the sides of the bag.
- Once everything is combined, turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough for about 3 minutes until smooth and elastic. Form into a ball and cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut/divide dough into 12 similar sized balls.
- Roll each double ball into a long snake or rope. Make sure your surface is floured to keep the dough from sticking. Once you have a long snake, form it into a pretzel shape.
- Lay formed pretzels on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl beat your egg. Brush the tops of each shaped pretzel.
- Let the pretzels rest until they are doubled in size.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.